Museum Number: 231
Object Name: Curse
Physical Description: Knitted doll/poppet of female A.T.S. sergeant with noose round neck and pins in knee. This is an example of a curse using what anthropologists call Sympathetic or Imitative Magic.
- What do you imagine was the story behind the creation of this object?
- Do people still believe in the power of curses like this? Do you?
- Would it be against the law in your country to make something like this?
- How do you feel about this object?
- What would you say to the person who made it or that had it used against them?
- We also use the word “curse” to mean verbal abuse. What is the connection between verbal cursing and curses such as this doll?