Museum Number: 163
Object Name: Shackle
Physical Description: Iron waistband shackle fastened with a padlock, and with chain attached.
Museum classification: Persecution
This is a shackle used to restrain a witch.
- Can you find out how old this object might be?
- When did the legal system in your country stop using things like this (or did it?).
- What might be some of the reasons that one may want to restrain the movement of another person with an object like this?
- Can you imagine the thoughts and feelings of the accused who was shackled?
- How do you feel about this object?
- What would you like to say to the person who made it, used it, or was subjected to it?
HAVE A LOOK AT THESE LINKS TO FIND OUT MORE:
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/100296.pdf http://abcnews.go.com/US/pregnant-inmate-files-lawsuit-shackled-labor/story?id=16672739#.UMtfPYNriSo http://www.uclan.ac.uk/about_us/case_studies/defence_of_indefensible.php http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/they-handcuffed-me-and-put-me-in-restraints-29133884.html http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21384435