Cursing Conference Call for Papers
Poppets, pins and power: Call for Papers
In 2017, the Museum of Witchcraft and Magic’s exhibition will be “Poppets, pins and power:The Craft of Cursing”. It will run from April 1st until January 2018. Curated by Dr Louise Fenton of the University of Wolverhampton, this exhibition will primarily focus on the poppets in the Museum’s collection as well as exploring image magic in different cultures. A conference to accompany and augment the exhibition will take place on Saturday May 6th 2017 in Boscastle, Cornwall.
If you would like to present a paper please send an abstract of no more than 200 words together with a brief biographical note to: email@example.com
Deadline for abstracts is October 1st 2016. Free entry to the Museum, exhibition, library and archive will be included in the ticket price (TBC).
Papers could address the following topics (but these are not restrictive):
- Material culture: examples of image magic such as dolls, photos, wax or clay representations and the stories/processes/methods surrounding them
- Poppets: to harm or to heal
- Accounts of cursing: historical, contemporary
- Cursed objects
- Cursing in contemporary witchcraft/Pagan practice
- Cursed places
- Protection from cursing/counter magic
- Curses in the witchcraft trial records or in historical documents
- Voodoo and cursing in different cultures
- Cursing in the media: film, fiction, poems, art etc.
Abstracts for the attention of Peter Hewitt, firstname.lastname@example.org