Traite D’astro-biologie

Book ID:
Traite D'astro-biologie
Avec des contributions de E.Budai et de A.Ferriere
'Krafft, K E '
Book type:
Dewey decimal number:
133.5 KRA
Dust jacket:
Height (cm):
Width (cm):

Donated by Diane Day-Jones and Jacqueline Bar.

Signed by K E Krafft.  

Stored in rare books cabinet (very fragile).

Biographical note on the author, from

"Karl Ernst Krafft was born in Basel on May 10, 1900. His father was director of a brewery. Krafft had one sister, Anneliese, born on September 18, 1901. By the end of April 1919, she died of tuberculosis.

From 1920 to 1925, Krafft studied, at first in Basel, later in Geneva and London. He studied a.o. astronomy, chemistry, mathematics, physics and statistics. None of his studies resulted in the obtaining of a Bachelor's Degree. 
In 1925, Krafft started to work as a bookseller in the esoteric bookstore Quo Vadis in Geneva. From 1926 to 1932, he worked as a company adviser, at first at Orell Füssli publishers in Zürich, managed by Oscar Gühl, later at the Globus stores, managed by Hans Mahler, one of Gühl's brothers-in-law. In his work as a company adviser, Krafft applied astrology and graphology. 
In the twenties, Krafft tried to demonstrate by means of statistic research that within families certain astrological patterns were present at birth and at death. Further, he did research upon the horoscopes of musicians in order to demonstrate that certain astrological patterns constantly were present. In 1923, research results were published in the brochure Influences cosmiques su l'individu humain; in 1939, he published his research results in the book Traité d'Astro-Biologie. In the course of the years, Krafft acquired a certain reputation as an astrologer, able to predict. In the beginning of the thirties, he developed a number of theories with the collective noun Typokosmie, on which he gave lectures in countless cities in Switzerland and Germany. 
In May 1937, Krafft married Anna Theresia van de Koppel, a Dutch woman he met in 1930. A few months later, they moved from Switzerland to Urberg, a small village in the German Black Forest. Their marriage remained childless. After the war, Anna Theresia van de Koppel translated three religious publications of Romano Guardini in Dutch: Oefenschool voor het gebed (The Hague, 1952); Theologische gebeden (The Hague, 1956) and Tijdperken des levens - hun ethische en pedagogische betekenis (The Hague, 1957).

In October 1939, Krafft started to work at Amt VII-B1 of the Reichssicherheitshauptamt, a section which investigated occultism, freemasonry and cults in Germany. Krafft's task was to write "columns", a mixture of economic and political comments and speculations, from time to time based upon planetary cycles. In his column of November 2, 1939, Krafft wrote, according to the British researcher Ellic Howe, that Hitler's life would be in danger between November 7 and November 10, 1939, and that chances were that there would be an attempt with explosives. When on November 9, 1939, it became known that Hitler, the evening before, escaped from an attempt in Munich, Krafft sended a telegram to Rudolf Heß, Hitler's deputy, in which he pointed to his fulfilled prediction and warned that the coming days were still dangerous. Krafft was arrested by the Freiburger Gestapo, who suspected him of either involvement or knowledge. He was transferred to Berlin for further interrogation by the Sicherheitsdienst. He managed to convince the Sicherheitsdienst that he had nothing to do with the attempt.

In connection with the link of quatrain 03-57 to the invasion in September 1939 of the German army in Poland, dr. Paul Joseph Goebbels, the minister of Propaganda in nazi-Germany, made plans to use the Centuries for psychological warfare. On the proposal of dr. Hans-Hermann Kritzinger who, as supposed on this website, was ordered by Goebbels to look for a Century-scholar who could run through the Centuries in connection with psychological warfare, Krafft was summoned to Berlin in December 1939, in order to see if he was capable for such a job. In January 1940, the Kraffts moved to Berlin, where Krafft until spring 1940 by order of the Reichssicherheitshauptamt wrote an introduction to the Centuries, which was heavily censored and eventually was published in late autumn 1940 as an enclosure to a photocopy of a 1568-B.Rigaud-edition of the Centuries, which was produced in a limited edition. The contact between Krafft and Kritzinger dated from most lately 1925 and continued until most certain the summer of 1940. After Krafft's settlement in Berlin, they met each other frequently and discussed many quatrains from a propagandistic point of view. They had conflicts. Kritzinger thought that Krafft's comments many times were too drastic, whereas Krafft accused Kritzinger of having filched material.

From April 1940 until his arrest on June 12, 1941, Krafft worked as a translator at the Deutsche Nachrichtenbüro. In the summer of 1940, he wrote, by order of the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nostradamus sieht die Zukunft Europas, a propaganda text which was published in 1941 in six translations. 

On June 12, 1941, Krafft got arrested due to the Aktion-Heß, a raid among astrologers and occultists in Germany because of the flight on May 10, 1941, of Rudolf Heß, about whom was written in the German media that for years he was gravely ill and increasingly looked for help among people like magnetizers and astrologers, who might have influenced him negatively. From his arrest on June 12, 1941, until his death in the Buchenwald concentration camp on January 8, 1945, Krafft remained imprisoned. In the summer of 1942, he analyzed horoscopes of allied generals and statesmen for the psychological warfare of the Ministry of Propaganda. When it became clear to him that the employees of the Ministry of Propaganda used his material at their own discretion, he began to suffer from a psychosis and predicted that the Ministry of Propaganda would be struck by bombs as a punishment for their demand that he would produce vulgar astrological predictions. As a result, it was decided to stop employing him for producing war propaganda. 

In February 1943, Krafft definitively fell out of favour. He had managed to get out from his prison in order to deliver a letter, in which he plead for his release, to an employee of the Reichssicherheitshauptamt who from time to time meddled with his imprisonment. After being recovered of typhus, from which he began to suffer in March 1943, he was transferred to the Sachsenhausen concentration camp. On November 27, 1944, he arrived in the Buchenwald concentration camp, where he died on January 8, 1945."