2569 – Wand

Physical description:
A slender wand consisting of a series of cylinders of bone or ivory decorated with black and red bands and circles, and held together by an iron rod through the core. The wand was given to W.B. Crow by Aleister Crowley.
Museum classification:
Aleister Crowley
Size:
290 x 25 x 10
Information:

Donated to the museum by Helen Richards and Pat Judson, High Priestess and Priest of the Coven of the Ercall Yew Grove in Shropshire.

The rod protrudes from the end of the cylinders, and is bent into an L-shape, and has discoloured white thread wrapped around it. It appears that there was originally another cylinder, and the thread would have been intended to stop the cylinder moving on the rod. Presumably the rod was bent after this cylinder was lost in order to stop any more cylinders falling off. It also seems likely that the artefact may have had some other purpose before being used as a wand.

W.B. Crow was closely involved with Aleister Crowley between 1944 and Crowley's death in 1947, after joining Crowley's organisation the OTO. Crowley made Crow a Patriarch of the Gnostic Catholic Church, the section of the OTO dedicated to performing Crowley's Gnostic Mass.

In Book 4, Part 2, Crowley wrote:

“The Magick Wand is thus the principal weapon of the Magus; and the name of that wand is the Magical Oath…the word is the will.  Thoth the Lord of Magic is also the Lord of Speech; Hermes the messenger bears the Caduceus.”

In 2018, this object was on display in the Museum's exhibition "Dew of Heaven: objects of Ritual Magic."

Resource:
Object
Materials:
Bone or ivory, metal (iron)

Donated to the museum by Helen Richards and Pat Judson, High Priestess and Priest of the Coven of the Ercall Yew Grove in Shropshire.

The rod protrudes from the end of the cylinders, and is bent into an L-shape, and has discoloured white thread wrapped around it. It appears that there was originally another cylinder, and the thread would have been intended to stop the cylinder moving on the rod. Presumably the rod was bent after this cylinder was lost in order to stop any more cylinders falling off. It also seems likely that the artefact may have had some other purpose before being used as a wand.

W.B. Crow was closely involved with Aleister Crowley between 1944 and Crowley's death in 1947, after joining Crowley's organisation the OTO. Crowley made Crow a Patriarch of the Gnostic Catholic Church, the section of the OTO dedicated to performing Crowley's Gnostic Mass.

In Book 4, Part 2, Crowley wrote:

“The Magick Wand is thus the principal weapon of the Magus; and the name of that wand is the Magical Oath…the word is the will.  Thoth the Lord of Magic is also the Lord of Speech; Hermes the messenger bears the Caduceus.”

In 2018, this object was on display in the Museum's exhibition "Dew of Heaven: objects of Ritual Magic."