A BANNED BOOK AT BEDTIME : 24TH SEPTEMBER
* 24TH September : BOOKS IN FLAME? THE SUPPRESSION OF MAGICAL TEXTS FROM ANCIENT TIMES TO THE PRESENT DAY – Steve Patterson, Folklorist
Steve Patterson writes on complex subjects and speaks in plain easy to understand prose. In this rather wonderful talk touching on The Index Librorum Prohibitorum, the self-censorship of Mary Anne South and our obedience to the new gods of technology, Steve Patterson discusses not only these details but the history of the book in general, the dissemination & suppression of magical literature, and the hermeneutics of power in relation to the publication of hermetic and magical texts from the early mediaeval period to the present day.
* 23rd September 2019 : THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD: Dr Louise Fenton on Zora Neale Hurston.
Dr Louise Fenton’s webcast introduces Zora Neale Hurston. Hurston’s extraordinary work on Haitian and Jamaican Voodoo,TELL MY HORSE – was not actually the work which got her banned from the bookshelves – that honour went to her equally extraordinary (and previously published) novel, THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD. Hasten to read both! A controversial and uncompromising figure in her lifetime, in 1948 Hurston was falsely accused of a crime she could not have committed as she was finishing a novel at the time in Honduras. “My race has seen fit to destroy me” she said at the time; long since repatriated she is seen today for what she was: a distinguished anthropologist, film maker and a writer of poetic and most insightful prose.
* 22nd September 2019 : Dr Thomas Waters – CURSED BOOKS? HARRY POTTER, RELIGIOUS CENSORSHIP & THE DELIVERANCE MINISTRY
Thomas gave the a talk on the phenomenon of recent and present day accusations of witchcraft and delivered for us also the first piece of programming for our first BANNED BOOKS WEEK reading, his talk on the Banning of Harry Potter in some states in the USA.
From the Grimoire to the Bodice Ripper – discover ancient magical texts subverted as evidence in witch trials, unpublished transcriptions of conversations with spirits, alchemic formulae, works of occult philosophy and novels so racy and depraved they were banned from sale on the Paris Metro!
Celebrating the right to read and the right to listen; Nightly at 10 PM we will be adding a webcast for every evening of BANNED BOOKS WEEK 22-28th September.
We have discovered some interesting correspondences between some of our writers, texts, and manuscripts, and will be sharing them with you over the course of the next week.
Please ‘tune in’ nightly for our short presentations, which we will also add on social media.
Remaining webcasts will be added nightly!
* Maria Prophetissima: The Axiom of Maria
* Culpepper : The Censored Revolutionary
* The Sworn Book of Honorius
* Dr Louise Fenton : Zora Neale Hurston
* John Dee – Conversation with The Angel Galvar
* Aleister Crowley: The Banned Lecture
* La Bas ( The Damned ) – Huysman